AroFlo Labour Calculation Automation Options

There are three main area’s that AroFlo deals with when you’re talking about Labour calculations. Two of them are on Task type. (Which is really handy as it allows you to create an ‘after hours’ task type for emergency works.)

Default Service Fee

This can be found on the main page of the Task Type editor (Site Admin >> Settings >> Task Types)

This functionality will automatically add a fee onto the job at the moment it is created. This is commonly used to handle call out fee’s that are applied in every instance of the job. (Although they can easily be deleted later if you don’t need them on a case by case basis.) Remember to put the call out fee into the Sell value and not the Cost value (Unless you offer a bonus or something to your workers for after hours work that would indicate an additional cost to your business.

This is relative simple. The Service Fee gets added when you create the job. The worker adds their time. Boom! Simple Invoice.

*Min Labour Charge

This can be found on the Default Settings page of the Task Type Editor (Site Admin >> Settings >> Task Types >> Default Settings)

The Minimum labour charge is a little more complex than the service fee. The Min Labour Charge looks at how much labour charges have already been added onto the job at the point of invoicing and will an additional amount to bring it up to the minimum charge.

So, for instance, I have a technician that i charge out at 100$ per hour. They are onsite for half an hour so my invoicable amount would be 50$. Now, with Minimum labour charge. i can indicate that I never want to charge less than 1 hour’s work ($100) So, i put 100 in the mIn. Labour Charge Field. Most likely change the Min Labour charge type to Labour and MAYBE change the Min Labour Charge text to something like “Call out fee” (although this isn’t a traditional call out fee as it may not be charged in some cases, but most people are used to see’ing call out fee’s on their invoice. The end result is that you can name it whatever you like - we’ll talk about invoice display later.)

Now, in the above instance, when we INVOICE the job we will now have two invoice line items.
Desc. Qty Cost Sell
Worker 1 - 1 ?? $50
Call out Fee 1 $0 $50

Indicating that you’re now at your $100 minimum. Keep in mind this Second line will ONLY appear if the worker has done less than $100 of chargeable work. if they do more, then Happy Days! you don’t need the minimum to kick in.

BUT let’s say that you want to set a call out fee that includes the first hour! Well, this is a little more tricky. You need to them divide this call out fee between the Service Fee charge AND the min labour charge. (Deduct the hours cost from your Call out Fee.) For instance.

I want my call out fee to $300 inc. first hour AND i’m still charging $100 an hour. THUS my call out fee would now be $200 and my min labour charge is set to $100. This would indicate that the minimum that i’m EVER going to charge is $300.

in this scenario If my worker does less than hours worth of work, then my Minimum labour charge kicks in and applies the remainder to bring me up to my $100 + $200 call out (=$300 total). If my worker does does more than $100 worth of chargable labour, then you have the call out fee applied ($200 + Worker labour (which will be in excess of $300)

Block Billing

Block Billing can be found under work types Site Admin >> Settings >> Work Types

Block billing indicates that i want AroFlo to ROUND UP to the highest block (5 min, 6 min, 10 min, 15 min, 30 min, 45 min or 60 min) rather than just charge for just how long the worker was actually on site. This way, if your technician is only onsite for 7 minutes worth of time (which we DO actually want to record for timesheets & profit and loss calculations) the actual invoiceable amount could be set in a block (so, the full hour or 15 minute intervals) Keep in mind AroFlo will set this amount to the Highest set block, so if you set it to 1 hr increments and are onsite for 1 hour and 1 minute you’re going to be charging for 2 hours.

Default Invoice Calculations

Keep in mind that none of the above is set in stone. You can ALWAYS modify your invoice on a case by case basis should a specific job not fit the mold. The purpose of the above options is to minimize the amount of data entry that you need to do on a regular basis to speed up your process.

Display of Invoice Line Items

This is obviously a much larger topic of discussion however I just wanted to finish up on this one as it’s kind of important particularly with some of the min labour charge functions as it will produce multiple line items on your invoice that you MIGHT not want to display to your customer. Keep in mind your invoice design is your own, you can choose to itemize, just choose to show the invoice description and a $ amount. Unless your customer is expecting an itemized invoice it might be best (particularly if you are using fancy calculations to get to the right $ amount (see - Call out fee inc. 1st hour). If you’re having trouble with your Invoice layouts, or simply want some help, give the support line a buzz.

Hope this all helps! More than happy to go into more detail!

Cheers,

Chris